Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Charity Knitting


This is a little blanket I made for "From the Heart," a charity shop in Richmond, VA while I was up there for the summer. It's a wonderful place where you can go to get donated yarn, needles and patterns for your charity projects. They also have comfey chairs and sofas so you can sit and knit. The first time I was there, there were about 15 second grade students there, boys and girls, all knitting. They had already contributed squares for an afghan for the homeless and someone had put the squares together for them and brought the finished afghan for them to see. They were working on another one while we were there. The school bus picked them up after about an hour to take them back to school. What an inspiration!

They had a need for preemie blankets and I found the mock cable in and was trying to make a blanket 24" x 24," but the pattern is actually a ribbing and the cable draws the fabric in. I can't remember what I cast on, but I calculated it from the gauge.


I learned a few things from this project; cast on about 10% less stitches than you want so it won't ripple at the ends and use some short rows in the side borders about every 3 inches to keep it from drawing in. The cable is really easy to do and you don't need a cabling needle for it.

No comments: